Thursday 1 March 2012

new ideas

From the feedback I got a few days ago I wanted to experiment with a suggestion made by my tutor about this experiment:


I don't really like this experiment, I wasn't really too sure on the direction that I was going in with it and it was pretty much just a starting point for me to get across my initial ideas. There were some suggestions made that maybe I should carry on with the idea of half the human body sitting on a tripod, making them like a manikin and they are being controlled by the camera, as well as the connection with the fashion/model side of it how they are pretty much controlled and told what to do. However this wasn't really something that I was interested in, nor was it something that I felt I could successfully achieve as it wasn't really something I could put my heart into as I couldnt grasp the idea very well. So I decided to go ahead and take some of the things mentioned such as the tripod and body and apply it to somthing else to make it a bit more of my own and something that I had though of. Here is the experiment I produced;



When I finished this experiment I did quite like it, but the more I looked at it, I realised that it just wasn't working, nor would it work if i carried on experimenting with it; it was just not portraying and saying what I wanted it to. For this edit I basically took a tripod and placed it into the image that I found in the internet, I then layered the top half of a womens body onto the image sitting on top of the tripod and then made her look a little bit like a camera by giving her a lens for an eye and placing some of the buttons that you would find on the back of a camera onto her body. Like you can see, it really doesn't look very good and it is a bit missleading in saying we have become so relyable on cameras and they are like our second set of eyes; it's being a bit too literal by having the lens as an eye and I don't feel it works.

It was at this point that I had the chat with my class mate (which I mentioned in the previous post). I took a lot from this very brief talk, it was more about finding a better way of showing that cameras are like our second set of eyes through the piece that I want to produce. Which is where the suggestion of using the view finder somewhere in the piece, as when we look through the view finder on our cameras we see things such as the spot AF area, different AF points, if the camera is in Manual or Automatic focus, the shutter speed, ISO, aperture and the exposure meter, this seemed like a good and interesting way of showing my thought of how cameras have become such a big part of us.

Below are the initial experiments that I have produced using this idea, the were just quick experimented to get down the first few ideas that came into my head after I had this conversation.




I an very pleased with these experiments; they have a better way of showing the camera as our eyes through the first layer of the photograph, rather than looking at a person who has parts of the camera edited onto their body. These experiments send a better and clearer message to the viewer and is a bit more direct and to the point than before. I am going to carry of experimenting with this to see what different things I can produce and I will hopefully be able to produce a good and successful final piece at the end of the experimental process.

No comments:

Post a Comment